Welcome to Spring! While many of us are entertaining their children during spring break or reorganizing closets, springtime is the best time to form healthy habits and initiate those lifestyle changes we may have placed on hold.
Did you know that 95% of New Year’s Resolutions are fitness related, however close to 50% of resolutions fail near springtime? This can seem discouraging, however it is never too late to pick up where you left off!
Springtime allows for several calorie-burning activities:
· Gardening-Weeding and mulching can help you burn anywhere from 200 to 400 calories per hour.
· Bicycling-Riding a bike is healthy, fun and a low-impact form of exercise for all ages.
· Mowing-Mowing the lawn can burn 250-350 calories per hour.
· Housework-You can burn up to 150 calories for every 30 minutes of household chores.
· Hiking-Spending quality time in the great outdoors reduces stress and burns calories!
· Sports-Outdoor sports such as basketball, soccer and baseball can burn at least 500 calories per hour.
Engaging in physical activity for 30 minutes a day helps reduce your risk of chronic conditions like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, many types of cancer, depression and anxiety, and even dementia.
Let’s get moving and spring into a healthier YOU!